The lemon zest in this recipe really makes this delicious!
- Olive oil, for coating baking dish
- 9 to 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 16 ounces (1 pound) mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles until al dente according to package instructions. Rinse under cold water until cool. Lay the cooked pasta flat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread a light layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay 3 to 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise over the sauce.
- Layer one-third of the remaining tomato sauce over the lasagna noodles and then layer half of the ricotta mixture. Layer half of the chicken over the ricotta and then spread one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this pattern: noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, chicken and mozzarella cheese. Add a final layer of lasagna noodles, then add remaining tomato sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake lasagna for about 45 minutes or until the top cheese is melted and golden.