Being a mom that likes to avoid buying canned and jarred sauces, I have been working on a pasta sauce for a while. Turns out it was a pretty simple combination of ingredients for the perfect tomato based pasta sauce (I did have to use one can of tomato paste to thicken – try to get the no salt added organic version if available).
- 3 Tomatoes cubed
- 1 can organic tomato paste
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a small pot, cook the onions and garlic with the olive oil until the onions start to become clear.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, wine, and Italian seasoning. Heat until starts to boil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want your sauce creamier, I use an immersion blender to blend it all together. If you like it chunky serve as is.