Well I’m a little late to the game in discovering Panzanella, but I have to post the recipe in case you’ve been in the dark like me. This makes a great refreshing summer salad, but since we made it in the winter, we’d say its good for any time of year.
- 2 large baguettes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large, seedless cucumber, roughly chopped
- 2 pt. cherry tomatoes (preferably multi-colored), halved
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch basil, torn
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss bread with 1/4 cup olive oil. Add bread to skillet and toast until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- To large bowl, add crispy bread, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Toss with dressing until evenly coated and season with more salt and pepper.
- Garnish with basil and serve.