- 6-7 slices of bacon – chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 diced bell pepper (we used green)
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp of your favorite hot sauce (we used Tabasco and did about 4-5 shakes)
- 1/2 packet of pickled pork
- 8 cups chicken stock (use 6 if you like your beans less soupy)
- 1 tbsp & 1 tsp salt (we used kosher salt)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pack of red kidney beans (we love Camelia! )
1 – Soak the beans over night, or at least for a few hours.
2 – In a Dutch oven, cook bacon in olive oil, stirring often for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook until onion is translucent another 3 to 5 minutes. Then add bay leaf, paprika, and hot sauce.
3 – Add the beans to the pot and pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring contents to a boil. Skim foam from surface into cup.
4 – Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours. Stir occasionally so that beans don’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Take the bay leaf out and add sugar & salt at the end of the 4 hours.
5 – Serve over our Floyd’s Famous Rice recipe!