Don’t laugh at me, but I had never eaten an enchilada until I ate these. I must admit, I have been missing out! Will definitely keep this recipe in mind when we have ground beef in the fridge.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 (4-oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 (10-oz) cans red enchilada sauce
- 8 large whole wheat tortillas
- Bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the beef and the onions. Brown the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink and the onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Next, add the green chiles and 1 can of enchilada sauce, and stir together to combine.
- Fill each tortilla evenly, and roll them up, placing them seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the tortillas with the remaining 1/2 can of enchilada sauce, and sprinkle the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbly.
We modified this slightly – only using a 1/2 can of the green chiles, and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce in step #4. See the original recipe here: http://womanista.com/wellness/2014/04/09/recipe-easy-beef-enchiladas/