My sweet potato mash is in a Thanksgiving Side contest on one of our favorite cooking sites – 12tomatoes.com/recipe-contest please go vote (its toward the bottom)!!
- 3 Pounds Sweet Potatoes (4-6 medium)
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp bourbon (I use Makers Mark)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 6 tbsp cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup plus more for drizzling
- Chopped Pecans for topping
1 – Set Oven to 400 degrees. Stab the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place in the oven. Bake until soft (45-60 min.). Split the potatoes and scoop out the into a bowl and set aside. Discard skin or compost.
2 – In a pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to soak up any grease. Add bourbon to the drippings in the pan. Cook until almost evaporated, about 30-50 seconds. Add the potatoes, heavy cream, butter, maple syrup and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Mash with potato masher or large spoon until the potatoes are smooth.
3- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl; top with bacon, pecan and drizzle desired amount of maple syrup before serving. I even like using the candied pecans as a topping sometimes to make it more festive!